- Politics - There is a reason why I'm going to a seminar on August 3rd on improving influencing skills. Why? Because the very notion of politics as a concept makes me gag. Politics seems to be the art of doing the least and yet claiming that it was the most.
- Race Baiters - People that use race to promote their own personal agenda...be they Jesse Jackson on the left of Rush Limbaugh on the right...really piss me off. Jackson encourages victimology through race and Limbaugh encourages the worst in his audience through his subtle racist comments.
- Those Claiming Moral Authority - Very, very few humans, in my estimation, can claim any real moral authority over anything. Oh, and the ones that rightfully could, such as Mother Teresa, mostly never do/did. The self-righteous usually end up looking like hypocrites.
- Chronic Victims - Yes, we all get crapped on from time to time, but that's life. I have no time for people that chronically claim to be victims though. Life isn't fair. People can be idiots. Make the best with what you have and move on.
- People That Don't Accept Responsibility - Great recent example: Fox News certainly did fan the fires with the whole Sherrod episode...hoping it would be the latest ACORN or Black Panther story (forget stories about Republican voter fraud...)...but yet refused to take responsibility for participating in the slander of this woman. Roger Ailes owes her an apology. He runs the ship. His organization blatantly screwed up. At least Bill O'Reilly man-ed up when he recently said "I owe Ms. Sherrod an apology for not doing my homework, for not putting her remarks into the proper context."
- People That Don't Read - I actually know people that don't really read anything, except for emails, text messages and Facebook. My God, how could anyone be so stupid? There is a whole freak'n universe out there to be explored.
- People Who Defend Smoking - How could anyone with more than two functioning brain cells defend a product that, when used as directed, kills you? I say simply ban it. It would be one thing if the activity just harmed the person that did it, but tobacco smoke doesn't abide by "no smoking" section rules. The best comparison is this: Smoking sections in public places make about as much peeing sections in swimming pools. Oh, and to those that claim "but, but, but...people eat fast food and that's bad for you!" I say the following: even the worse crap from McD's provides calories and some level of nutrition. In fact, if you were starving to death, a McD's hamburger could save your life. Smoking however has ZERO value. Smoking is nothing more than an addiction to a potent drug, and I genuinely feel bad for those that are hooked and can't stop.
- Corporate Greed Heads - I'm sorry, but a tenth of a point in improved net profit isn't worth ruining the lives of (former) employees. Businesses should be able to do what they do best, but sometimes we forget that business has another very important function in our society: it employs people. Our society needs a better balance between the motive for profit and the responsibility to contribute to the greater good. We can have both, but I fear that something the scales tip too much in one direction.
- Free Market Public Sector Types - Speaking for business, ever find it fascinating that some who crow the most about the "free market" are actually those who have the least experience in it? Newt Gingrich is a great example. I like Newt by the way, but he's something of a hypocrite, as for most of his adult life he has had zero experience working in the for-profit private sector. None. Nada. Zip. I've worked for profit-making businesses all my adult life. I love profit. But I also see that an exclusive desire for anything...be it profits, chocolate or sex...is never any good.
- Sloganeering - Some things are too complex to fit into nice little sound bytes, despite what you may hear from your favorite politician.
- Reality TV - Since when does simply being a moron make you a star? Since the dawn of Reality TV. One need only look HERE for an example.
Saturday, July 24, 2010
A Random List of People & Things that Piss Me Off
In no particular order, for no particular reason.