I came across this while trolling the depths of Scranton message boards:
"That new High School was in the works way before it became public, now I hear we do not have enough students, it seems the new plan already in the works sell Scranton High, to the new Medical School, again already planned, has anyone else heard about this?"
I'm not going to name the poster (he/she posts anonymously anyway) and I'm not going to mention the message board where I found it (sorry, no free publicity from me), but it was one I had to share.
Now why is this so dumb? Well a few facts (I know, who needs them?) are in order:
- The school being referenced is Scranton High School, which was opened less than 10 years ago. It is a state of the art facility that all three of my daughters have attended. You can see a picture of it HERE. The last graduating class had about 350 students in it.
- Having had children attend Scranton High School now for the last 8 years or so, I can confirm definitively that the school is bursting at the seams with students. It's completely filled. In fact, there has been talk that some students may be forced to attend West Scranton High School (which is no where near full) simply because there is no more room.
- The Scranton School District is still paying on the bonds that were used to construct the school.
- The Medical School recently had its funding cut the Pennsylvania Legislature & is in the process of completing construction of it's initial building on Pine Street in Scranton. They are going to be lucky if they have enough money for furniture and cadavers, let alone buying a multi-acre school building and grounds.
- Scranton High School is at least a mile away from the medical school, if not further.
Tinfoil lined hats anyone?