On the Republican side, let's see what we've got:
- A moron (Rick Perry) who can't remember what the voting age is or what federal agencies he himself would like to ax.
- A ladies man (Herman Cain) who, rumor has it, got his 9-9-9 tax plan from a video game. Funny, my daughters used to play Sim City and yet they never came up with a tax plan...just what was their problem?
- A self-righteous homophobic dolt (pick'm: Santorum or The Bachmann).
- "Mr Family Values", a.k.a. Newt.
- A guy who has changed more positions than your average porn star (Romney).
- A few others who can't win anyway (see Paul & Jon...and I'm not talking about the Beatles).
Personally I think that the President needs a credible challenger. Someone like Hillary Clinton. Someone who can both stand on principle but yet actually get stuff done. History is full of examples in the past:
- Ronald Raygun, "saint" Ronnie to some, worked extensively with Democrats in Congress, signed the largest amnesty bill ever for illegal immigrants, raised taxes and grew the size of government.
- Billy-Bob Clinton signed welfare reform into law, had balanced budgets and presided over an expansion of the economy...but yet Republicans tried to have him impeached.
Will someone step up? I doubt it. Call me pessimistic, but I think this country is screwed.