Not Cease from Exploration

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Road Apples, #48

Things That Make You Go Hmmmm (Senator Mellow version) - Interesting story in today's Sunday Times. Link here. It seems that the Senator's campaign is fond of making checks out to 'cash', which at least creates the appearance of trying to hide payments. While I definitely point a finger at Senator Mellow for this shady practice, the worse crime is the fact that once again state regulations seem to not apply to the people that pass them, namely state legislators.

Fall Back - I slept poorly last night, which is not an unusual occurrence (I hate sleeping), but fortunately I had the advantage of "falling back". Yes, it's that time of the year when it starts to get dark early, but morning light arrives sooner. Works for me. I'm not an evening person and having it dark at 7am wasn't all that thrilling for me, so the change is a good one.

Halloween - Not too many trick-or-treaters last night which I'll attribute to the fact that the weather was rather crappy. Well that and the fact that there really aren't any others on my block that allow Halloweeners. That's kind of sad in my book. Equally disappointing were the television choices last night; I had expected to see some good horror classics, but instead there really wasn't anything on (other than the Francis Ford Coppola version of Dracula, which I caught the last few minutes of). I was especially disappointed with the SyFy Channel, as they played an on-going show about the "Ghost Hunters". If you are not familiar with "Ghost Hunters", I'll clue you in: they are a bunch of plumbers who look for ghosts. I keep telling my daughters that I'd love to go to one of their lectures and ask nothing but plumbing questions. I'll sure it would tick them off.

Me - "Grant, your investigative techniques are very interesting. Tell me, how long is a wax toilet seal supposed to last?"

I guess this kind of thing might account for my lack of any real social skills.

Furnace News - Yes, I yet again have a furnace problem. This time it's the furnace drain valve, which was still leaking a little water after I performed my weekly draining procedure. I'm thinking that the next time I live somewhere different, that place will need to have forced hot-air heating, as I'm getting thumb-tacked to death by my current boiler. Add this one to the washing machine that starting to leak to the "what a weekend" department.

Cosmic Data Blues - I have recovered about 80% of the data I lost when my Seagate portable drive failed. Of the remaining 20%, there may still yet be some things I can find buried on the hard drive of my laptop. Maybe I'll try and do some digging this evening.

In the Sloth Department - It's funny in that when I am traveling, I sit in my hotel room in the evenings and think about all the things I could be doing around the house. Of course when I actually am home I my actions don't match my previous ambitions. There seems to be this irresistible force associated with sloth I guess.

No comments: