"Do you know Fat?"
...or just simply...
"Hey, hey, hey"
It didn't help matters that, around this time, we had a cat and, well you guessed it, we named him "Fat" (get it, "Fat Albert"?).
Anyway, those were my more or less fond memories of Bill Cosby. These days a cartoon about a morbidly obese child aren't what comes to mind when I think of Mr Cosby.
For the unenlightened, Mr Cosby is facing accusations that he has sexually assaulted and/or raped a large number of women over the years. You can read about it HERE. It's not a pretty read. Of course, this being the culture of the salacious in the Internet age, there are thousands of experts out there opining that the women in question are simply gold-diggers or that Mr Cosby is a serial rapist who has used his star power and squeaky clean reputation to silence his critics. Me? I simply say ENOUGH already!
Here are the facts as I understand them:
- Multiple women have accused Mr Cosby of sexual assaults.
- Mr Cosby settled a civil lawsuit with at least one of accusers.
- Settling a civil lawsuit doesn't mean that Mr Cosby is guilty.
- Mr Cosby has never been criminally charged for any of allegations made against him.
- It's impossible to know the motivations of every women who has made an allegation against Mr Cosby.
In my book, claiming that every woman who has accused Mr Cosby is simply a "Gold Digger" is wrong...BUT...so is convicting Mr Cosby even before he has been charged with a crime.
Internet "experts" need to stop engaging in victim shaming, which sometimes is just very thinly disguised misogyny.
Other "experts" need to stop with the cyber-lynching mobs, as Mr Cosby is innocent until proven guilty of a crime.
In the end, we have to let the criminal justice system work, even if it means that we have to be, gasp, patient.
Post a Comment